Moving to a new country and starting a new job, you are bound to have a lot of the questions. Below is a list of the questions we get asked most often. If you have a question that isn’t listed here, email or call our recruitment department. We are here to help you!

How do I set up a bank account?

In order to be paid by the NHS you are required to have a UK Bank Account. It is up to you to set up your own Bank Account. You are able to apply for a Bank Account with any Bank in the UK. You will need to provide proof of address in the UK and also photo ID (passport) when you go to the Bank to set up the account.

Some of the main banks in the UK are: Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, NatWest, Santander and TSB. 

You can find out more information here - https://www.bba.org.uk/publication/leaflets/opening-a-bank-account-if-you-are-new-or-returning-to-the-uk/
Once you have set up the Bank Account you will need to provide the details to the payroll department as soon as possible.


What is a National Insurance and do I need one?

To work in the UK, you need to have a National Insurance number. It is against the law to work without a NI number and so it is important to sort this out as soon as possible.

You need to apply by phone for a National Insurance number.

National Insurance number application line
Telephone: 0345 600 0643
Textphone: 0345 600 0644
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
You can start work before your National Insurance number arrives if you can prove you can work in the UK.

Jobcentre Plus may write to you and ask you to come to an interview where you’ll be asked about your circumstances and why you need a National Insurance number.
The letter will also tell you which documents to bring to prove your identity. You’ll be told at the interview how long it’ll take to receive your National Insurance number.

Watford Jobcentre Plus
Exchange House
60 Exchange Rd
United Kingdom
WD18 0JJ

When are we paid?

Payday is last Thursday of each month.

How will I find out about my rota and hours?

When you meet your Ward Manager, they will discuss the rota and hours with you. Nurses work 12 and half hour shifts. The morning shifts begin at 7.15am and the evening shift begins at 19:15. Your shift patterns will vary from week to week.

Do I need to register with a GP?

Yes, you need to choose the GP surgery that you want to register with and check it covers the area where you live – you can do this by looking on the following website http://www.nhs.uk/service-search.  

Whom do I need to speak to if I have a question about my pay or pension? 

The payroll department will be able to answer any questions you may have regarding your pay. You can contact your payroll department by calling operator and asking for Payroll West Herts. 

You are automatically enrolled into the NHS pension scheme. You can opt out by contacting our pensions department on 01442 287687. 

Do I need to pay tax?

Income Tax is a tax you pay on your income. You pay tax on money you earn from employment.

Most people pay Income Tax through PAYE. This is the system that your employer or pension provider uses to take Income Tax and National Insurance contributions before they pay your wages or pension. Your tax code tells your employer how much to deduct.

What do I do when I receive my NMC Pin number?

When your NMC registration is complete, the NMC will send you a Pin number. When you receive your NMC Pin number, give it to your ward manager. They will complete the necessary paperwork for you and inform HR. 

Do I need to bring my own uniform?

No, you will be given a uniform when you arrive. You need to provide your own shoes. You should wear flat, black shoes that cover all your foot. Shoes with heels or open toes are not allowed. Crocs, workshoes, canvas or suede shoes are not permitted either.

Does the hospital provide car parking?

Facilities manages staff parking permits along with CP Plus. Facilities at Watford process and issues all staff based at this site. Facilities at Hemel Hempstead will do the same for staff based at the St Albans and Hemel Hempstead site.

To apply for a parking permit, please use the link below.  This link should only be used for permanent members of staff.


Please remember that parking deductions can be made as part of a the salary sacrifice scheme, please contact Payroll for more information

How do I stay in touch with my friends & family?

Most mobile operators will work automatically in roaming, but this can be very expensive. If you search the different networks, you can find good deals with top up cards (pay-as-you-go), or contracts, to call home with reduced prices. You also can check the most common networks used around UK such as Three, Orange, Vodafone, o2.