Move to Northern Ireland

Living and Working in Northern Ireland

Interested in making the move to Northern Ireland as a health professional? With TTM Healthcare Solutions (TTM) by your side it couldn’t be easier or more fulfilling. Here is some basic information that will help you understand your eligibility, and give you an introduction as to what it’s like to live and work in this part of the world…

Register your interest with TTM's International team by completing our International form.

Visa Requirements

 Anyone from outside of the UK and Northern Ireland (excluding from the Republic of Ireland) will need permission from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to work in the UK and may also need entry clearance before travelling here. To receive a visa or entry clearance, you will need to meet certain requirements and demonstrate you have the right to work in the UK via:

  • the points-based immigration system

  • the EU settlement scheme

  • a biometric residence permit

Payment of the visa application is covered under an arrangement between TTM and the HSC. The Health Surcharge which must be paid as part of your visa application will initially be paid for you, however, this cost will be repayable to the HSC over an agreed period following commencement of your employment.

Find out more details about visas and immigration.

Airfare to Northern Ireland

Your air ticket from your home county to Northern Ireland will be covered through arrangements between TTM and the HSC.

Your Contract

Any offer you receive will be a Permanent Contract, but you will be subject to Home Office restrictions in line with your visa. Your employment must then be managed in accordance with those restrictions.

However, providing you have leave to remain in the UK the posts will remain open to you. If you are granted permanent leave to remain, you will be confirmed into a permanent post (subject to satisfactory performance).

Your Tax in Northern Ireland

Everyone in Northern Ireland must pay tax and National Insurance on all earnings. For healthcare professionals employed by the HSC this is deducted from your pay before you receive it. This means the payment you receive is yours to use as you wish.

Most people are entitled to receive a tax-free allowance. This amount is determined by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HRMC) and for the current tax year the basic tax-free allowance is £12,500. This means the first £12,500 of your earnings is tax-free.

Any earnings over the tax-free allowance are taxable. Each month, tax is deducted from your pay, and typically this deduction will be 20% of your earnings above the tax-free allowance.

Find out more information about paying tax in Northern Ireland.

Please note: Typically, you will not receive your tax-free allowance in your first month’s pay. This is because HRMC must communicate the appropriate tax-free allowance to the HSC Payroll Department. Once the Department has received this information, it will recalculate your tax to ensure that you have not over contributed.

National Insurance

To qualify for certain state benefits and the State Pension, you must make monthly National Insurance contributions. Contributions are currently paid at these rates:

Class 1 National Insurance rate

Your Pay - £184 to £967 a week (£797 to £4,189 a month) | 12%

Your Pay - Over £967 a week (£4,189 a month) | 2%

Find more information about National Insurance in Northern Ireland.

Permanent Residency in Northern Ireland

If you make the move over to Northern Ireland, you will initially come with a 3- year visa after which you can apply for an extension. In most cases, based on current rules, you can apply for Permanent Residency after you have lived in the country for 5 years. All applications are subject to Home Office requirements and approvals.

Bringing Your Family

It is recommended that you make the move to Northern Ireland on your own and acquire your mandatory registration with the relevant board before bringing your family. This will also give you time to find suitable accommodation. You will be responsible for organizing the visa requirements for your family members which will be subject to Home Office regulations and approvals.

Visiting The Republic of Ireland

There are restrictions in place for those who enter the UK (which includes Northern Ireland) on a Tier 2 Work Visa. This is because the UK and Ireland combined form the ‘Common Travel Area’ (CTA). If you enter the CTA as a tourist, you can travel anywhere within it. However, if you enter the CTA on a specific Work Visa (such as a UK Tier 2), you may only work and visit the UK: you cannot enter the Republic of Ireland as a tourist without a specific visitor visa. To enter the Republic of Ireland you will need to obtain a specific tourist visa which may or may not be possible when on a Tier 2 Work Visa.

Our Clients

  • NHS logo
  • HSC Northern Ireland logo
  • International Recruitment of Healthcare Professionals logo
  • NHS Workforce Alliance logo
  • Healthtrust Europe logo
  • Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust logo
  • Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust logo
  • South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust logo
  • REC Member logo
  • Crown Commercial Service Supplier logo
  • HPMA logo logo