Working as an AHP in Northern Ireland

How can I Work as an Allied Health Professional in Northern Ireland?

Whether you’re a Physiotherapist helping to improve the movement and mobility of patients, a Dietician providing vital nutritional expertise, or a therapeutic Radiographer dedicated to cancer treatment – your role as an Allied Health Professional is key to society. What’s more, your skills are in demand in Northern Ireland, and the team at TTM Healthcare Solutions (TTM) is here to help you relocate and advance your career in a new country.

Register your interest with TTM's International team by completing the International form.

A Full Range of AHP Roles

We place professionals from overseas across a wide range of diagnostic, technical, therapeutic, and support services in connection with health care. Professions recognised as Allied Health Professions in Northern Ireland include:

Medical Scientists, Radiographers, Sonographers, Laboratory Staff, Operating Dept. Practitioners, Physiotherapists, Dieticians, Podiatrists, Cardiac Physiologists, Clinical Psychologists and more.

How To Register to Work as an AHP

As an Allied Health Professional from overseas working in Northern Ireland, you will need to complete registration with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC). The HCPC is an organisation that regulates 15 health, psychological and care professionals in the UK and Northern Ireland. It sets standards, approves programmes which professionals must complete to register, holds a register of professionals who meet the Council’s standards, and acts if professionals on the Register do not meet the standards.

If you trained outside the UK

If you trained outside of the UK you will need to register with the Council by completing an International Application Form. You can find full details and the relevant form by visiting

The application will ask you to provide full details of the qualifications you hold in your relevant profession, your professional experience and your professional registration and memberships. This application process can take approximately 60 working days.

When you make an International Application, you must also confirm your proficiency with the English language. You will need to prove that you can communicate effectively in English – which is vital for all health professionals in the UK.

The Council accepts either of two certificates of English language proficiency, providing they are no more than two years old:

The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - a universally recognised international test of English language proficiency. You will need to achieve a minimum overall level of 7, with no element below 6.5.


The Occupational English Test (OET) - an international English language test designed specifically for the healthcare sector. You will need to achieve a minimum score of 100/120. 

If English is the main language you use on a day-to-day basis, you can state that English is your first language when you apply. This means you don't have to provide certification. The Council may also ask for further evidence that English is your first language.

Our Clients

  • NHS logo
  • HSC Northern Ireland logo
  • International Recruitment of Healthcare Professionals logo
  • NHS Workforce Alliance logo
  • Healthtrust Europe logo
  • Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust logo
  • Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust logo
  • South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust logo
  • REC Member logo
  • Crown Commercial Service Supplier logo
  • HPMA logo logo